Kids below 2-3 years of age start speaking and recognising the letters. Alphabets are the building blocks of English language. Therefore, parents and teachers put a lot of emphasis on teaching letters for their kids’ educational development. In order to teach recognition of letters, you must adapt innovative strategies to teach kids. Needless to say, it has to be engaging and interesting for kids to participate in the learning process. There are different types of activities being conducted for kids at home. Kids at this age are too small to understand all the letters at once, instead you have to focus on teaching letter by letter for their better retention.
Learning letters is the primary skill that every kid acquires.The first thing they do is recognise the shape and sound of the letters in the beginning of their learning period. Kids learn letter A followed by other alphabetic letters. You must understand the fact that kids might get disengaged or disinterested in learning if the teaching becomes monotonous. To overcome this, you have to design or think of letter recognition games for kids which are not only engaging but at the same time entertaining too. Letter recognition is extremely beneficial in developing reading and writing skills in kids. For that, you must focus on implementing interdisciplinary activities for the children on how to recognise and write the letters.
The recognition of ABCs starts from the home. Parents are solely responsible for teaching the alphabet necessary for their children in the development of language skills. Therefore, you can utilize creative techniques for teaching letters in a systematic way. All the kids are inclined towards visual, auditory and kinesthetic activities in terms fun and entertainment. It is sometimes difficult for parents to teach their children at home. Due to their boundless amount of energy, kids don’t know how to let their energy out. In such cases, coming up with creative games and activities at home can occupy and engage children for better learning outcomes.
Engaging Activities for Learning Letter Recognition
Growing kids always desire to play outdoor games rather than sitting at home. But, it is not always feasible to teach kids which are only related to outdoor activities. Instead, you need to come up with exciting activities that can help kids to learn letter recognition and at the same time have fun. Some of the activities that help kids in learning letter recognition are mentioned below:
- Coloring Pages: This is quite an amazing activity for kids who just love to color. There are chances of kids making a mess out of colors, waters and paints all over the house. But, it does have an overwhelming response from the kids in terms of recognising the letters. You can provide coloring pages with uppercase and lowercase letters along with attractive images.
- Flashcards: Recognition of letters becomes an easy task with the help of flashcards. These are very helpful in teaching letters to the kids. You can come up with different themes and backgrounds to make it visually appealing. Make a routine at home to learn letters from the flashcards on a regular basis. Teach upper and lower case in order to learn the difference between letters.
- Videos: Kids are visual learners and therefore, you must develop activities at home in the form of videos. The response will be entirely different than you expect from kids at home in terms of learning letters. Incorporate moving images, graphics and sound to teach letters for the kids. This activity will engage the children throughout the learning process.
Benefits of Learning Letter Recognition
Recognising letters is an important part of reading skills. It helps kids in identifying the characters used in the English language. To achieve this, you can conduct activities for kids at home to teach letter recognition in a systematic manner. Some of the benefits of learning letter recognition are mentioned below:
- Develops reading and writing skills.
- Enhances learning experience.
- Differentiates between the letters.
- Understands upper and lower case letters.